Saturday, September 3, 2011

Zombie Island

Zombie Island is a story created on a blog. Throughout the reading I keep speculating on how thrilling it would be to keep up with a weekly blog and wait for each section. The true experience of this book format would be to have a story in your life for the next 8 months or so and you would always have something to look forward to. Although I came in much later and was able to read the majority of the book in a week. Even though I am reading old posts I also now have the opportunity to read people's responses and thoughts on each chapter. You can actually see the author taking advice from its readers as the story progresses. A few holes emerged and questions unanswered so the author decided to add 'Easter eggs' in the replies. Not that they are really hidden gems, but I found out from my fellow classmates that not many others read the posts afterwards.

Not all books do this but I'm glad Zombie Island did; creating two simultaneous stories. The undead Gary zombie and the team seeking the AIDS drugs. It's interesting to have two simultaneous stories at one time, you see the destructed world from the opposite point of views. The stories do eventually merge together and when they did I found myself asking 'did the stories merge?' and I was thrilled. I did have a major issue with the book though and this was not having an explanation of how the zombies spread. Zombies eat humans for food, but they don't eat other zombies? If a zombie eats a human how do people EVER get a chance to be a zombie? I also remember reading that zombie-ness wasn't a spreadable disease meaning that zombies were almost like a psychological disorder. I had to block these things out of my mind while reading this book in order to enjoy it. Not that the book defies normal zombie convention, you can make zombies however you want, but there wasn't a cohesive back story tot he zombies and how they really started. A good story but I wouldn't bookshelf it. The fact it spawned from an internet blog though really does surprise me still.

No comments:

Post a Comment