Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Hobbit

I remember being young and watching the Hobbit cartoon. Nothing that I remember of the hobbit is similar to what I just read. I simply couldn't put it down. JR Tolken has a smooth way of translating words into a coherent narrative that kept me glued to the book. Through the adventures of Bilbo Bagins, a nobody from an average town, he goes through an adventure throughout middle-earth in search of great adventure. Of course I don't think Bilbo knew what he was looking for or going after but the things he found along there I am sure he wouldn't trade for anything. Its kind of interesting knowing the future of Bilbo through the Lord of the Rings and then reflecting on his world in the Hobbit, which of course happened first. For example, your not supposed to know how powerful the ring is, how it came into existence from Gollum or anything until the first book/movie. Although even from the Hobbit you can see the Rings effects and how its almost like a drug, keeping Gollum barely alive to helps its own existence. ei: a drug would vanish from the earth without anyone to use it. In the story of the Hobbit though Bilbo doesn't seem to develop addictive personality traits to the ring yet and it becomes an in-expendable tool among his journey to conquer the dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment