Saturday, October 15, 2011

Anansi Boys

I must say that this book has some very odd names for the charactors. I am not sure why the author decided to call the main charactor 'Fat Charlie' or the incarnation of anansi 'spider' as if this wasn't cliche' enough. I got as far through the book as I could which is after Spider's visit to Fat Charlie and his disbeleife in the whole thing. The problems I had with the book are narrowed down to the writing style. I tend to get lost in books that neander from the stroyline for seemingly non-sensical thoughts or observations. It's not that I don't enjoy an good scene setup or anything but I have a problem with over visualization or overanalisis of Fat Charlie's thoughts. It's as if the author went too fast introducing who Fat Charlie is instead of letting the audience decide for themselves who this bloke is.

I felt the premise of a African Spider God to be off the wall. I am a little girl when it comes to spiders. I'll rangle snakes, wrestle bears and even ride a puma but if there is a spider on my desk I will freak out. So the premise of having a spider god and it's incarnations within humans just seemed not interesting to me. Although this factor is most likely my prejudice against spiders and this alone. All-in-all if the writing style was more engaging for me I would have been able to finish more of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment